Thursday, February 14, 2013

Happy Valentine's Day!




Happy Valentine's Day! As pointed out in my sister's blog, no doubt this is a holiday created by retailers. I know--even within my own extended family--that people often aren't receptive to being told when and how to celebrate their love. However, in our little family, we like to celebrate anytime possible. It interrupts the often mundane tasks of life with joy, delight, and wonder. A holiday, even a retailer-created one, is the perfect excuse to celebrate, and we do! What I like about Valentine's Day, especially, is that the little things we do for each other are typically gifts of the heart. For example, this year, I especially loved Caden's handmade crafts that he made for his brothers. I also enjoyed getting up extra early with Tristan (5:15!) to make him a special Valentine's breakfast before he headed off before 6:00 AM.



My gifts for the boys included a copy their "journals"--the birthday letters I write them each year, funny things they said when they were little, snapshots of their lives that I'd written over the years, and even lots of letters they'd written to their grandparents. They were cracking each other up this morning reading funny things they'd said when they were little. This had all been on the computer, but getting it to a format they could read and enjoy was well worth the effort! They also each got their own special box of Peppermint Bark Popcorn drizzled with Valentine-y melted hot pink Andes peppermint candies. Tim got "Valentine's In a Bag" with lots of different date ideas/items. He has been out of town this week and flew in mid-day today, which helped to make our day extra fun. We never get a chance to go out to lunch mid-week, and it felt like well-deserved playing hooking after his 15- or 16-hour days this week. 

The Celebration Station!
Where the party always begins at our house. 

This morning I was thinking that all the extra things we do during holidays help to build cherished memories, strengthen family bonds, and increase the love we have for each other. But even the most delightful holiday traditions could be hollow if the foundation isn't there in a family. In that light, I close with these profound truths from Gordon B. Hinckley: 


I agree!

1 comment: